Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social, Technical
In Use As
1805 - 1810
Detached Church of Ireland church, built in 1806 and rebuilt in 1816 with a loan from the Board of First Fruits. Comprises three-bay nave with single-bay chancel, vestry and porch. Three-stage tower with clock, castellations and pinnacles. Pitched slate roof with stone finials and rendered chimneystack to vestry. Pebbledashed walls with limestone sills, dressings and hood mouldings to windows. Tooled pointed-arched windows with limestone tracery and stained glass to rear wall of nave and with timber tracery to front. Square-headed openings to second stage of tower. Timber battened double door to tower with carved drop-arched surround. Date plaque above door. Grave markers to site ranging in date from mid-nineteenth century to the present. Site bounded by rubble limestone wall with dressed limestone gate piers with stile and cast-iron gate.
Drumlease Parish Church has immediate architectural and visual appeal. Located within its own grounds it occupies a prominent position off the main street of Dromahair. It retains many original features and is still used for religious services. The variety of windows with stained glass and tracery, tooled surrounds and grave markers contribute artistic and technical significance to the site.