Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Former water mill complex on the Bonet River, built c.1800, now used as a National Monuments works depot. Detached two-pile seven-bay two-storey former corn mill with tower at north end and nineteenth- and twentieth-century extensions to rear. Hipped slate M-profile roof. Squared random coursed limestone walls with tooled quoins. Block-and-start window surrounds with replacement timber windows. Two segmental-headed carriage arches to facade, rebuilt c.1990. Integral carriage arch to north with cut stone segmental arch. Rear extension is two-storey with coursed random stone walls and hipped slated roof. Mill stones to exterior. Roughcast rendered modern outbuilding and limestone outbuildings to north-east. Modern building to south. Coursed random stone boundary wall with cast-iron gates and railings.
This attractive former mill complex, with substantial corn mill, played an important social role in Dromahair. Although functional in design it is of architectural merit. Features of note include its stone elevations, carriage arch openings, tower and cast-iron entrance gate. As a site of industrial heritage, this complex is of technical significance.