Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1880 - 1920
Detached four-bay three-storey bank, built c.1900, with two-storey return. Pitched roof with rendered chimneystacks hidden by parapet, with cast-iron rounded hoppers and square-profile down pipes. Ashlar limestone bankfront with string course. Render to upper floors with stucco dressings. Dog-tooth mouldings and cornice to parapet. Top-opening windows to ground floor divided by stone pilasters with carved capitals. Margined timber sash windows with stucco surrounds to upper storeys. Timber panelled doors with overlights and carved cut stone surrounds.
The fine ashlar bankfront and stuccoed upper storeys make this bank an elaborate contributor to the streetscape and architectural heritage of the area. Its original detailing, including rainwater goods and dog-toothed cornice to the parapet, allows the bank to stand out from neighbouring buildings.