Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Social

Original Use

Building misc

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1850 - 1870


188526, 339545

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced five-bay single-storey former Masonic hall, built c.1860. Pitched slate roof. Coursed random limestone walls with ruled-and-lined render to facade. Round-headed doorway in west end with moulded archivolt and replacement timber door, surmounted by Masonic plaque, in flat-roofed end bay. Pointed-arched doorway to east end with cut stone surround, traceried overlight and timber battened door. Traceried two-light pointed-arched window and replacement square-headed windows in blocked pointed-arched openings with limestone sills. Building abutted at west end by gable-fronted two-storey building with rendered walls.


The modest design of this former Masonic hall is embellished by decorative Gothic windows and doors. The use of tracery gives it an artistic and religious quality and enhances the aesthetics of the building. In social terms this building is an important feature within the town as it is reflective of the standing of the Freemasons in former times.