Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Detached three-bay two-storey house, built c.1840, having three-bay side and rear elevations, and outbuildings to yard to south. Hipped slate roof, centrally placed pair of red brick chimneystacks, and some cast-iron rainwater goods. Lined-and-ruled render to front (north) and west elevations, roughcast rendered walls elsewhere. Elliptical-headed doorway with moulded render surround, cut limestone steps, timber panelled door with overlight and sidelights. Square-headed window openings with tooled stone sills and replacement uPVC windows. Three-bay single-storey outbuilding to west side of yard with pitched slate roof, rubble limestone and sandstone walls square-headed doorways and segmental-arch vehicular entrance with yellow brick voussoirs. Multiple-bay two-storey outbuildings to north and south sides of yards, with pitched slate roofs and cast-iron rainwater goods, rubble limestone walls with square-headed openings and segmental-arch vehicular entrance with yellow brick voussoirs, and elliptical-arch vehicular entrance with dressed limestone voussoirs to openings. Wrought-iron double-leaf gate set to rubble limestone square-plan piers to farmyard. Road entrance comprises double-leaf cast-iron vehicular gate set to cut limestone piers with plinths and pyramidal caps, with cut limestone wheel guards, and rubble limestone flanking walls.
The three-bay two-storey form of this house, with its hipped roof and paired central chimneystacks show the polite formal influences on this structure, in contrast to the irregular fenestration on the three sides. The moulded render doorcase is simple but enhances the modest façade. The stone outbuildings ranged around the enclosed yard to the south have served different purposes and in conjunction with the house represent the remains of a prosperous farm. The roadside gateway compliments the ensemble.