Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social
In Use As
1900 - 1920
Detached nine-bay double-height hall over basement, built c.1910, having gabled returns to rear (south-east) elevation, with flat-roofed single-storey additions to rear. Pitched slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles and finials, some cast-iron rainwater goods, timber eaves courses and rendered chimneystacks. Pebbledashed rendered walls having render continuous sill course, render plinth course, rock-faced snecked limestone cladding below sill course. Square-headed door openings to front (north-west) elevation and south-west gable, comprising tooled limestone engaged columns with Art Deco surrounds above, and double-leaf half-glazed timber panelled doors with paned overlights. Limestone steps to entrances. Square-headed opening to south-east elevation having render surround and timber panelled door, accessed by render steps. Square-headed opening to basement level of north-east elevation with limestone lintel and timber panelled door. Square-headed opening to north-east elevation having render surround and timber battened door. Tripartite window to upper level of north-east and south-west gables comprising round-headed opening flanked by square-headed openings, with continuous render sill and timber windows. Square-headed openings elsewhere, having render surrounds and timber windows. Rendered boundary wall terminating in square-plan piers to front, each having elaborately carved limestone caps from gateway of Cregaclare country house, having Greek key frieze, triglyphs, moulded cornice and sculpted ball finial.
Designed by William Scott and prominently located alongside a main entrance to Laban, this community building is a relatively rare example of an early modern building in rural Ireland. The combination of ornate, well articulated doorways that are tentatively indicative of the Art Deco style, and the simple plan of the building, is notable. The columns to the doorways and the elaborate caps to the piers were salvaged following the demolition of Cregaclare House in 1939.