Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Social Technical
1875 - 1880
Lighthouse complex at north-west corner of Oileán an Tuí (Straw Island), erected 1878. Comprises round-plan lighthouse with slightly flared sides surmounted by round-plan lantern containing apparatus dating to 1926, having conical metal roof and finial, and having cast-metal railing to surrounding walkway. Abutted at base by multiple-bay single-storey building having pitched slate roofs and concrete copings, set within polygonal compound having rendered enclosing walls. Lean-to outbuilding at south end of compound having rendered walls and lean-to slate roof.
This lighthouse complex protects the main approach to the harbour of Cill Rónáin. Its distinctive squat appearance is unusual for lighthouses in the region and the contrasting colours of white rendered walls and red painted metalwork make it aesthetically pleasing.