Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use

Country house

In Use As

Country house


1760 - 1800


197022, 216154

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached five-bay two-storey country house, built c.1780, with projecting canted entrance bay to front (south) elevation, two-bay two-storey return to east and west ends of rear elevation, with gabled single-bay single-storey addition to east, and single-bay single-storey lean-to extension to re-entrant corner of main block and this return. Evidence for rebuilding to rear elevation of house proper. Hipped slate roof to main block, pitched and hipped roofs to returns, with rendered chimneystacks to rear slope of main block, and triple offset square-plan stack to rear gable of east return, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered walls with tooled limestone quoins, cut-stone string course between floors to front elevation, and cut-stone plinth course. Paired square-headed window openings to front elevation, with continuous stone sills to each pair, with timber sliding sash windows, six-over-three pane to ground floor, six-over-six pane to first floor, and four-over-four pane to canted sides of ground floor of entrance bay. Variety of windows elsewhere, including nine-over-nine pane timber sliding sash window to east elevation of main block, camber-headed double two-over-two pane window to east elevaton of east return and margined one-over-two-pane round-headed window to south elevation of west return. Elliptical-headed door opening with timber flat panelled door with round heads to upper panels, moulded timber lintel, petal fanlight and paned side lights with cut-stone sills. Cobbled courtyard to north has one and two-storey outbuildings with pitched corrugated metal roofs, rendered rubble limestone walls, and square-headed openings and segmental-headed carriage entrances with timber fittings. Ruinous remains of three-bay single-storey gate lodge with timber openwork projecting porch, pitched slate roofs to house and porch, rendered limestone walls, and remains of double timber sliding sash windows with spearheaded bars, and timber battened door. Road entrance has wrought-iron double-leaf gate and square-plan dressed limestone piers with caps, and rubble stone flanking walls.


The well proportioned façade is enhanced by architectural features including the string course and the characteristic canted entrance bay. The fine timber panelled door, fanlight and sidelights provide a decorative focus. The variety of timber sash windows adds interest and suggests different phases for the construction of the building. The symmetrical front façade is reflected in its rear elevation, which has a short wing to each end. The demesne includes a number of original features including the gatelodge and outbuildings.