Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1900
Detached multiple-bay two-storey limestone-built magazine, built c.1880, comprising rectangular block having square-plan three-stage towers at south-west and south-east corners. Later lean-to structures to west and south sides supported on cast-iron columns with masonry plinths and having metal roof. Metal stairs to middle of south side. Flat roofs to main block and to towers, with rock-faced parapets having crenellations, towers having cut-stone corbel table, and having coursed snecked stone chimneystacks, projecting slightly at south elevation. Coursed snecked rock-faced walls having plinth, tall loops to each floor and to towers with darker limestone block-and-start surrounds, cut-stone platband below each level of loops, string courses below eaves and to ground floor. Square-headed doorway to west side of west tower, having chamfered stone lintel, relieving arch of voussoirs, and step. Futher three-bay single-storey block to north-west corner, of similar construction.
The design of this strongly built edifice reflects its purpose as a magazine, the stout windowless walls being defended by towers and having numerous gun loops for its defence. The most soberly built structure at Dún Uí Mhaoilíosa, it adds to the variety of the military buildings and displays good-quality construction and craftsmanship.