Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Historical Social
In Use As
1945 - 1985
Freestanding limestone cross, erected c.1965. Comprises celtic cross having carved interlace panels to north face and to north shaft. Cross is set on polished granite base with plinth and cornice, having incised gilded inscriptions. Monument is bounded by metal fencing. Located in village of Castlegar.
This cross memorialises several local men who died during the War of Independence and the Civil War. It is finely executed in limestone and polished granite and stands prominently in the village of Castlegar. Crisply carved, it employs the motifs of the celtic cross and insular interlace or strapwork, celtic motifs typical of such monuments of the mid-twentieth century.