Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1895 - 1890
Detached six-bay single-storey schoolhouse, dated 1896, now in use as private dwelling, and having flat-roof porch to east. Pitched natural slate roof with red brick chimneystack to middle of ridge, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered walls with rendered skirting band to base. Square-headed six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows with render reveals and tooled limestone sills. Timber sheeted entrance door in east side of porch and window in south side. Inscribed limestone plaque in east elevation reads 'Scoil Náisiúnta' and another reading 'St Monica's National School Shanballard erected 1896'. Small garden to front with rendered boundary wall having chamfered limestone coping.
Shanballard School, now in use as a house, is the sister school of that in Gorteen and was built with money gifted from the family who resided in nearby Temple House. It was used by both boys and girls in the local area and was an important building in the community.