Survey Data

Reg No

30407108


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Technical


Original Use

Icehouse


Date

1850 - 1870


Coordinates

154375, 236429


Date Recorded

29/10/2009


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Freestanding icehouse, built c.1860, altered c.2000. Now disused. Main chamber beneath earth roof, with entrance to north. Random rubble limestone gabled fa├žade with opening to base having with limestone lintel. Random rubble retaining walls with cement coping to west leading to opening with timber lintel. Set in forest, with gravel path surrounding and stone steps to east.

Appraisal

Icehouses were a common feature of Irish country estates by the mid-nineteenth century. Covered with earth, this icehouse provided the means to keep food fresh for the ffrench family, then residents of nearby Monivea Castle. The structure was repaired c.2000.