Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Detached three-bay single-storey vernacular house, built c.1800, having single-storey corrugated-iron roof extension to rear. Pitched thatched roof with decoratively scolloped block ridge and rendered chimneystack to north-east gable. Roughcast rendered and painted walls. Square-headed openings with replacement timber casement windows throughout, having painted limestone sills. Central bay possibly former doorway, now window. Set back from road with garden to front behind rendered and painted boundary wall with decorative metal railings.
Originally part of a row of thatched houses, this is the last surviving structure in Claregalway with a traditional thatched roof. Sited on the N17, the main road linking Galway with the north and east, this house retains its original form, scale and character and enlivens the streetscape of Claregalway.