Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Detached four-bay single-storey vernacular house, built c.1800, with dormer attic and having twentieth-century porch addition to front and gabled extension to rear. Pitched thatched roof with flush ridge, rendered chimneystack with lead apron, recent eyebrow dormers to front and rear slopes, and cement rendered copings to gables. Thatched hipped roof to porch and thatched pitched roof to extension. Random rubble limestone walls, render removed. Square-headed window openings with replacement timber windows, having render surrounds to front elevation, and stone sills. Square-headed glazed timber sheeted entrance door. Set parallel to road with gardens to front and rear, former having random rubble stone boundary wall with bow-topped piers having wrought-iron garden gate, and latter having remains of single-storey outbuilding.
The thatched house is a physical reminder of the Irish traditional vernacular building form and although once common within the rural landscape, is increasingly becoming rare. This building retains some architectural features such as the thatched roof and small openings.