Survey Data

Reg No

30405628


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Technical


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1780 - 1820


Coordinates

130704, 240288


Date Recorded

16/12/2009


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached four-bay single-storey vernacular house, built c.1800, with dormer attic and having late twentieth-century single-storey extension to rear. Pitched thatched roof with decorative knotting to raised ridge, and rendered chimneystack, stone copings and cement work to eaves. Pebbledashed walls to front with rendered plinth to sill level, and rendered and painted elsewhere. Square-headed openings with raised render reveals and painted stone sills. Replacement uPVC windows and doors throughout. Set at end of avenue with single-storey random rubble stone outbuildings to rear and rendered boundary wall to front. Outbuilding attached to north end having pitched corrugated-iron roof.

Appraisal

The thatched house is a survival of the vernacular building tradition in Ireland, a phenomenon that is becoming increasingly rare. This attractive building retains many of the characteristics of this building mode, such as a thatched roof and low chimneystack. The various outbuildings are important for the the setting.