Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Detached four-bay single-storey vernacular house, built c.1800, having late twentieth-century flat-roofed entrance porch to front, and three-bay single-storey late twentieth-century extension to rear. Pitched thatched roof with flush ridge having wire mesh to eaves, rendered copings to gables, and rendered chimneystack. Rendered walls with parallel quoins to corners, and front elevation having render plinth and render brackets to eaves course. Square-headed window openings with replacement uPVC windows, painted stone sills and decorative render surrounds. Timber square-headed door to porch. House set perpendicular to road with garden to side, rendered boundary wall with decorative metal gates to road, and three-bay two-storey outbuilding to south with pitched corrugated-iron roof and rendered walls.
This thatched house is a physical reminder of the architectural of Irish vernacular buildings and is now becoming increasingly rare. The building has been extended and renovated in recent years but still retains some attractive and important characteristic such as thatched roof and small openings. The decorative render surrounds to the windows artistic interest to the facade.