Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Detached four-bay single-storey vernacular house, built c.1800, having windbreak to entrance, and single-storey late twentieth-century extension to rear. Pitched thatched roof with decorative knotting to raised ridge, low rendered chimneystack, and cement copings to gables, and flat roof with parapet to windbreak. Rendered walls with rendered plinth, bevelled quoins to front corners of building and of windbreak, and render eaves course. Square-headed window openings with replacement timber casements, painted stone sills and raised render reveals. Square-headed glazed timber door. Set parallel to road with garden to front with rendered boundary wall and piers with metal gate. Two outbuildings to north with pitched corrugated-iron roofs and random rubble walls.
Once common in the landscape, the traditional thatched house is now becoming increasingly rare. This building retains its simple form and many characteristic features such as the thatched roof and low rendered chimneystack. Bevelled quoin details offer visual interest to the front façade. The boundary wall and outbuildings contribute to the setting of the house.