Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1765 - 1785
Detached five-bay single-storey house over half-basement, built c.1775, with gabled return to rear (west) elevation. Pitched slate roof having render chimneystacks and copings, timber eaves course, and render entablature. Rendered walls with render plinth course. Square-headed openings throughout, having tooled limestone sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Wrought-iron bars to windows to rear. Square-headed openings to basement with timber framed windows. Round-headed door opening having timber panelled door and cobweb fanlight flanked by one-over-one pane fixed timber sidelights. Flight of tooled limestone steps with wrought-iron railings to entrance. Gateway to road comprising double-leaf wrought-iron gates, flanked by tooled limestone piers having carved plinths and caps with moulded cornices, and with wrought-iron turnstile pedestrian gate to west, rendered quadrant walls with moulded limestone coping and tooled limestone plinth.
This villa-style house with a strong sense of symmetry, established by its central doorway, sidelights and associated steps. Other details, such as its unusual chimney pots and the retention of timber sash windows add further interest.