Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1780 - 1890


185374, 231181

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced five-bay two-storey building, being reconstuction of c.1870 of four-bay two-storey building of c.1800 and borrowed end bay of neighbouring property to south, new front of brick being added to unify the elements. End bays slightly advanced. Now in use as shop, with office to first floor. Pitched slate roof behind rendered parapet wall with red brick cornices, and having cast-iron rainwater goods and red brick chimneystacks. Red brick walls with cut limestone plinth. Camber-headed window openings, having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with red brick sill course to first floor, and timber display windows to ground floor. Camber-headed door openings to end bays and to southmost of central bays, with glazed timber doors to latter openings and timber panelled door to office, with plain overlights and limestone thresholds.


This unusual elevation incorporates part of a neighbouring property to create a symmetrical elevation, emphasised by the slightly advanced end bays. The use of brick is rare in Ballinasloe and provides contrast in a streetscape of rendered buildings. Other noteworthy features are the timber sliding sash windows and cambered openings.