Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1810 - 1930


185199, 231158

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay shop building, built c.1830, having three-storey west bay and two-storey east bay. Pitched slate roof and rendered chimneystacks. Smooth rendered walls to upper floors, with painted quoins. Brick walls to ground floor, with moulded cornice. Square-headed window openings to upper floors of west bay, with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Elliptical-headed double-height window opening to upper floors of east bay, with tripartite timber sliding sash windows, each light having four-over-four panes, with fixed toplights. Segmental-arched openings to ground floor, inserted c.1925, with moulded brick surrounds, having replacement timber display windows and glazed timber doors.


This building has a notable façade that is probably the result of at least one reconstruction. The brick arches of the ground floor are unusually wide, the technical possibilities of readily available factory-made brick being used to good effect for large display windows. The simple detailing and contrasting materials of brick and smooth render enhance its attractiveness, and the large tripartite window form an interesting visual focus.