Survey Data

Reg No

30332016


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Technical


Original Use

Station master's house


In Use As

Station master's house


Date

1850 - 1855


Coordinates

150105, 228092


Date Recorded

24/08/2009


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay two-storey L-plan station master's house, built 1851, having projecting gabled bay to front (north) elevation, flat-roofed entrance porch to re-entrant corner, and single-storey extension to west elevation. Pitched slate roofs with clay ridge tiles, red brick chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Concrete parapet to porch. Rock-faced snecked limestone walls. Square-headed window openings having red brick block-and-start surrounds with replacement timber windows, and stone sills. Similarly detailed door opening with glazed timber panelled door and overlight.

Appraisal

This station master's house combined with a signal cabin and crossing house together form an important group of related structures at Athenry Railway Station. The rock-faced limestone walls and contrasting red brick dressings give it an artistic quality and add interest to the structure.