Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As

Bank/financial institution


1860 - 1880


143727, 251756

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached four-bay two-storey house, built c.1870, having shallow entrance breakfront, canted bay windows to north end of front elevation and to south elevation, and with three-bay return elevation to south, western bays of latter recessed. Now in use as Credit Union premises. Hipped slate roof with decorative cresting to ridge, pair of rendered chimneystacks to centre of ridge, and wide eaves with integrated moulded gutter and moulded timber brackets. Cornices and blocking courses to bay windows. Painted and rendered walls with moulded string course at first floor sill level. Square-headed window openings, tripartite to first floor over entrance and south elevation bay window, and doubled over front elevation bay window, al having replacement uPVC windows. First floor sills formed by string course and ground floor having limestone sills. Projecting cut limestone doorcase to breakfront having square-headed doorway flanked by sidelights, with pilasters, outer ones having simple brackets supporting moulded cornice. Flight of limestone steps up to entrance, with ornate cast-iron railings, recently adapted to accommodate ramp.


This Italianate house was designed by the same architect as the archbishop's residence and built about the same time. It is a good example of the period.