Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Historical Social

Original Use

Post office

In Use As

Post office


1900 - 1920


143611, 251827

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached multiple-bay single-storey Georgian-Revival post office, built c.1910, having pedimented breakfront with tripartite window. Designed by Harold Leask of the Office of Public Works. Hipped slate roof, with moulded cast-iron rainwater goods, side elevation guttering supported on small brackets, and with limestone cornice. Walls of red brick with limestone band below cornice, having inscribed lettering 'POST OFFICE', and second band at sill level. Square-headed window openings with block and start limestone surrounds and limestone sills, with six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Tympanum to breakfront has half-moon window with triple keystone and moulded surround. Sqaure-headed doorcase with moulded limestone architrave having triple keystone, plain overlight and timber battened double-leaf door, and limestone step.


This small post office is a very good example of the creative work produced by the Offcie of Public Works at the beginning of the twentieth century. The detailing and quality of stonework is of a very high standard.