Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Freestanding five-bay three-storey bank, built c.1850. Pitched gable-ended slate slated with end stacks of ashlar limestone with limestone copings. Front façade of ashlar limestone to ground floor and squared limestone to upper floors, with cornice between, and having heavy cornice to eaves. Arcade of round-headed openings to ground floor, with impost course. Top floor windows have segmental heads and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows, first floor openings are square-headed with curved corners and one-over-one pane sash windows, and ground floor windows are round-headed with one-over-one pane windows, paterae to spandrels. Entrance doorways round-headed, with moulded archivolts, and human mask sandstone keystones. One doorway infilled to provide ATM and other has double-leaf timber panelled door, both with limestone steps. Boundary to front has cut limestone plinth wall with wrought-iron railings and cast-iron piers.
This is a fine example of the banks built by the Bank of Ireland in the mid-nineteenth century and designed by Sandham Symes. This particular example is in excellent condition and a fine architectural asset to the town.