Categories of Special Interest
1840 - 1880
Freestanding three-stage bell tower, built c.1860, formerly part of abbey. Rendered bellcote with moulded coping and cross finial behind rendered crenellation concealing roof, with cast-iron rainwater goods. Rubble granite walls with string courses between stages, and having limestone plaque commemorating foundation of abbey. Pointed-arch window openings to middle stage having replacement fixed windows, and square-headed window openings to top stage with fixed timber-frame windows. Square-headed opening with timber louver to upper part of top stage of west elevation. Pointed-arch door opening with replacement battened timber door. Blocked archway to east elevation. Located within industrial park with remains of abbey, having enclosing wall, including sea wall, to east.
This striking bell tower is one of the few remnants of what was once an abbey complex.