1840 - 1880
L-plan quay, built c.1860, having slipway at right angles to shorter east-west leg, longer north-south leg being parallel to coast. Walls of coursed and dressed limestone and granite. Slipway is of stone, widened to seaward side in concrete. Flights of limestone and granite steps to sheltered side of longer leg. Rendered parapet to seaward side of quay, stone flag surface and dressed limestone coping to sheltered side. Limestone mooring posts to sheltered side of quay, on dressed stone plinths. Iron rings and steel ladders at intervals to sheltered sides.
The scale of this quay reflects the importance of a once thriving maritime economy. The use of materials and the skills of the engineers and tradesmen are evident. The survival of early surfaces, mooring posts and steps makes this an impressively intact structure.