Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Technical
In Use As
1835 - 1840
Freestanding limestone tomb, erected 1839, as burial place of John D'Arcy, founder of Clifden. Pecked and tooled limestone plinth, sides and roof. Inscriptions to all sides, those to gable ends being set in shield devices and commemorating John and his wife, one long side with plaque commemorating their daughters and other long side bearing passage from bible. Tomb situated to south-west of church close in sloping graveyard.
This unusual burial monument is situated fittingly, close to the Church of Ireland church, and overlooking the very town which John D'Arcy founded in 1812. It was designed in the form of a founder's tomb, such as was used to commemmorate the saintly founder of a monastery in medieval times. Its plaques commemmorate John D'Arcy and various members of his family.