Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1880
End of terrace five-bay three-storey former hotel, built c.1860, now in use as retail outlet and domestic dwelling with advanced entrance porch having cast-iron balcony. Pitched slate roof addition and multiple extensions to rear. Flat roof with rendered chimneystacks, moulded render cornice, and rendered parapet with ornamental urns. Main entrance bay has decorative pediment detail with pilasters and urns. Replacement uPVC rainwater goods to rear. Painted rendered walls, lined-and-ruled to first floor and having render plinth to ground floor. Moulded render sill courses to upper floors, top floor also having moulded string course. Square-headed window openings thorughout, having panelled render pilasters to upper floors incorporating sill courses and also string course of top floor. Tripartite one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to upper floors and replacement timber display windows to ground floor. Square-headed openings to entrances flanked by pilasters with moulded cornices and having replacement double-leaf glazed timber doors, with overlight to main entrance.
This former hotel testifies to the important role that tourism played in the expansion and development of the town. It is enhanced by its classical detailing, tripartite windows and the ornamented parapet. The retention of timber sliding sash windows is notable.