Survey Data

Reg No

30319014


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Technical


Original Use

Outbuilding


In Use As

Restaurant


Date

1780 - 1820


Coordinates

129674, 225025


Date Recorded

28/08/2008


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached eight-bay four-storey former warehouse, built c.1800, now restaurant and offices. Dormer attic and addition to rear are recent. Pitched slate roof having rendered chimneystacks and coping to gables with concealed rainwater goods and recent uPVC dormer windows. Coursed rubble limestone walls having rendered eaves course, steel-framed balconies to south elevation with replacement uPVC French windows. Camber-headed window openings having block-and-start limestone surrounds and voussoirs, replacement stone to top two floors, render sills, and replacement uPVC windows. Camber-headed door openings and segmental-arch former carriage entrance, having limestone block-and-start surrounds and voussoirs, with replacement uPVC doors.

Appraisal

This large former warehouse and chemical works stands close to Blake's Castle and the old city docks. Its size and repeating camber-headed windows give it a distinctive presence and appearance. The dressed stone voussoirs provide a somewhat decorative element.