Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1810 - 1850


129739, 225068

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited terraced four-storey former house, built c.1830, having chamfered corner bay, further two bays to Cross Street Upper and single bay to High Street. Hipped slate roof with rendered chimneystack. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls to upper storeys having rendered eaves course and channelled render quoins to north-east and to chamfered bay. Square-headed window openings having stone sills. Two one-over-one pane and one six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows remain, others being replacement uPVC. Coursed dressed limestone walling to ground floor, having stone plinth, moulded stone impost course, stone pilasters continuing to first floor sill course though frieze, latter having moulded string course to base. Segmental-arch openings to ground floor having stone voussoirs, window openings having fixed timber display windows and doorways having glazed timber panelled doors with overlights.


This is a key building in the streetscape, being situated at a prominent junction. Its chamfered bay acknowledges its corner siting and is somewhat typical of late nineteenth-century commercial buildings. The arcaded ground floor of well crafted dressed limestone also marks the building as distinctive. The retention of some timber sash windows enhances the building.