Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1840
Terraced four-storey former house, built c.1820, having four-bay upper floors and multiple-bay ground floor, latter with two commercial units. Pitched slate roof having rendered chimneystack and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted lined-and-ruled rendered walls having rendered eaves course, and dressed limestone string course doubling as sill course to floor. Coursed dressed limestone to ground floor, all openings having pilasters which continue up to first floor sill course, with moulded string course above shop frontage, latter having moulded string course at impost level, and stall risers. Square-headed window openings to upper floors having raised render surrounds and painted stone sills supported on moulded brackets with replacement uPVC windows. Camber-headed openings to shopfront having limestone sills and voussoirs having fixed timber windows, and replacement timber glazed doors and overlights.
This former house is part of a terrace of relatively intact late Georgian dwellings on a prominent shopping street. The dressed limestone ground floor is the principal feature of the building, having decorative string courses and with pilasters between the openings. The upper floors are enhanced by the raised render surrounds and sill brackets to the windows.