Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1855 - 1865
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, built c.1860, one of terrace of four similar houses. Now in use as apartments. Recent extensions to rear elevation. Pitched artificial slate roof with catslide to extension, having red-brick chimneystack, moulded rendered eaves with brackets on moulded string course to front. Replacement aluminium rainwater goods. Lined-and-ruled rendered wall with plinth to front having moulded render sill courses to lower floors, plain rendered wall to rear and extensions. Square-headed window openings to front with torus-moulding and chamfer-stops to reveals of top floor, moulded surrounds to lower floors and tooled limestone sills and render sills, with replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window openings to rear, having limestone sills and replacement uPVC windows. Square-headed door opening to front flanked by panelled pilasters with plinths and capitals, surmounted by scrolled consoles and moulded cornice, with timber panelled door having brass door furniture, and overlight. Garden to front enclosed by rendered red-brick plinth wall with limestone coping and decorative cast-iron railings and gate.
This house forms part of an impressive terrace of three-storey houses. Its regular fenestration and the good render detailing to the walls and openings adds decorative quality. The ornate ralings and gate considerably enhance the building and highlight the architectural unity of the terrace.