Survey Data

Reg No

30318017


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical


Original Use

House


In Use As

Restaurant


Date

1800 - 1820


Coordinates

129509, 224932


Date Recorded

21/08/2008


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

End-of-terrace five-bay three-storey house with attic, built c.1810, now in use as restaurant, office and apartments, and having later render shopfront to ground floor. Recent extensions to rear. Pitched artificial slate roofs, having recent roof-lights to rear, roughcast rendered chimneystacks, limestone eaves course with cast-iron and replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Dressed limestone to front, with rendered plinth, and rendered to gale and rear. Commemorative plaque to gable. Shopfront and former integral carriage arch are framed by rendered piers with chamfered jambs, with fascia above having fluted consoles with rounded caps, architrave and dentillated cornice. Square-headed window openings having dressed limestone voussoirs and sills, gable openings having raised render reveals, stone and concrete sills, all with replacement uPVC casement windows. Recent fixed single-pane aluminium-framed display windows to shopfront. Square-headed door openings to front and side elevations with replacement glass doors. Door opening to gable is reconstructed, having tooled limestone pilasters to wide opening, one being panelled and other fluted, dressed limestone voussoirs, and replacement timber door.

Appraisal

This part is part of a row of stone-fronted buildings, its masonry being clearly of good quality and its rhythm of windows making it eyecatching. Its render shopfront has good detailing and the pilasters of the gable doorway may have formerly belonged to the fa├žade. The building has historical significance as the house where Fr Tom Burke, a Dominican and called the 'Prince of Preachers' by Pope Pius IX, was born in 1830.