Survey Data

Reg No

30318013


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

House


Date

1810 - 1830


Coordinates

129494, 224960


Date Recorded

20/08/2008


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced five-bay three-storey house, built c.1820. Now in use as residential accommodation and retail outlets, with recent render shopfronts, that to north end of fa├žade overlying earlier render shopfront. Pitched artificial slate roof having rendered chimneystacks, limestone eaves course and cast-iron rainwater goods. Dressed coursed limestone walls. Square-headed window openings having dressed limestone voussoirs and sills, raised render surrounds and replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed door opening to middle bay, having tooled limestone Gibbsian surround with fluted keystone and fluted frieze, timber panelled door and replacement timber cobweb fanlight. Older shopfront comprises panelled pilasters with plinths and fluted consoles with ridged cornice, supporting moulded cornice.

Appraisal

This imposing building forms part of a row of stone-fronted buildings on this street. Its centrally located doorway and classical proportions distinguish it form many others in the row. The earlier shopfront, now partially hidden, is a significant part of the building's architectural interest. The fine example of an early nineteenth-century classical doorway considerably enhances this structure.