Survey Data

Reg No

30314077


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social


Original Use

Hospital/infirmary


In Use As

Office


Date

1770 - 2000


Coordinates

130105, 225601


Date Recorded

04/09/2008


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Snecked squared rubble limestone, constructed c.1999, incorporating features of former three-bay three-storey with attic fa├žade of former infirmary building of c.1780 later used as Galway County Council headquarters. Features window openings comprising cut limestone coping, square-headed window openings with recent timber sliding sash frames, six-over-six pane to ground floor and three-over-six pane to upper storeys, having cut-stone Gibbsian surrounds with triple keystones and cut-stone sills. Oculus openings to attic-storey with timber louvers and cut-stone Gibbsian surrounds. Round-headed door opening having cut-stone Gibbsian surround and recent timber glazed double-leaf door, overlights and timber tympanum. Recent commemorative plaque to wall.

Appraisal

Salvaged during the demolition of the former Galway County Council offices, the opening surrounds in this modern wall form the last reminder of the original late eighteenth-century infirmary. The quality of the stonework, best demonstrated in the Gibbsian surrounds, attests to the architectural quality of what was once an important public building in the city.