Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Technical

Original Use

Canal (section of)

In Use As

Canal (section of)


1840 - 1880


129631, 225273

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Canal, built c.1860, having block and rubble limestone and yellow-brick lining with limestone coping blocks to banks and puddled bed. Runs north from River Corrib southwards before terminating in small harbour. Latter has four blocked disused mill-races, in group of three to east and single to west, lower parts of arches being blocked up. All arches elliptical with dressed limestone voussoirs. Pedestrian walkway to west bank with two major road bridges crossing canal as well as two recent pedestrian bridges. Canal includes small aqueduct where canal is carried over mill-race channel feeding into River Corrib, having ashlar limestone block construction with voussoirs and coping stones and also carrying pedestrian footpath. At about mid-way point is lock with rounded approaches and metal and timber sluice still operational. Canal continues to south beneath bridge and into small harbour where it feeds back into Lower Corrib via stone block weir to south-west corner of harbour.


This small canal is an interesting and formerly much-used part of the industrial infrastructural heritage of Galway City. The harbour with four mill races emanating from its south end forms part of the visual amenity of the area, the remaining sluice mechanisms adding further industrial heritage interest. The variety of basin-lining materials adds texture and interest to the waterway.