Categories of Special Interest
Archaeological, Architectural, Technical
In Use As
1560 - 1810
Attached ten-bay six-storey former warehouse and grain store, built c.1790, incorporating building of c.1580 in its north-west gable end. Now in use as shop to ground and first floor, with offices and apartment complex above. Pitched slate roof having cut limestone eaves course and replacement aluminium rainwater goods. Coursed squared rubble limestone walls with cast-iron tie-plates between all floors, rendered to south-east elevation. Square-headed window openings having concrete reveals and sills with dressed limestone voussoirs and replacement timber windows. Square-headed vertical ribbon window to north-west elevation with render sill, fixed timber glazing and timber panels. Three camber-arch former vehicular openings to front elevation with tooled limestone surrounds, dressed stone voussoirs, recently converted to windows. Former vehicular entrance to south end of front main elevation with raised block-and-start surround and keystone, having recent timber boarding. Elliptical-headed door opening to north-west gable having re-used sixteenth-century cut-stone door surround and haunch stones, with replacement timber double-leaf doors and timber overdoor. Square-headed door opening to south-east elevation having recent timber glazed double-leaf doors. Blocked flat-arch door to same gable.
Located in a narrow street, this large stone former warehouse has a significant visual impact. The re-used sixteenth-century doorcase adds considerable interest and the building, due to its proximity to the docks, stands witness to the historic mercantile and maritime activity of Galway City.