1600 - 1840
TOWNPARKS(ST. NICHOLAS' PARISH)
Terraced three-bay three-storey former house with recent dormer attic, built c.1820, containing fabric of earlier building of at least 1615. Now in use as shop. Pitched roof having red-brick chimneystack and cast-iron and replacement aluminium rainwater goods. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls, with channelled render to ground floor. Carved limestone plaque above shopfront and located between this building and its neighbour to south and having Font coat of arms. Limestone skewback former chimney lintel inserted over northern doorway and having halved coat of arms, lettering 'Ave Maria Gracia', 'IHS', date 1615 and initials 'AF' and 'MF'. Recent lettering to timber fascia with moulded string course and having moulded consoles supporting moulded render cornice doubling as sill level to first floor. Square-headed window openings with raised render voussoirs and keystone, with rendered stone sills to top floor having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows and one replacement uPVC window. Fixed timber display windows to ground floor with rendered chamfered stall-risers and square-headed door openings having replacement timber and timber glazed doors.
Originally forming one house with its southern neighbour, this simple building displays a well-proportioned façade and a classically balanced fenestration pattern. The building has many original features including the moulded string-course, cornice and decorative consoles of its shopfront and the retention of timber sash windows enhances it. The early stone plaques display evidence that this building is essentially late medieval or seventeenth century in date.