Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1810, with recent slightly recessed shopfront. Formerly in use as restaurant, now in use as shop. Double-pile pitched roof concealed behind parapet wall to front elevation and having ashlar cut-stone chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Broken coursed dressed stone walling to front elevation, having projecting cut-stone coping to parapet. Rendered walls to south-west gable and rear elevations. Cast-iron boot-scrape within camber-headed niche having limestone jambs and red-brick voussoirs to base of front wall. Square-headed window openings having tooled limestone sills, voussoirs and surrounds with timber sliding sash windows, eight-over-eight pane to middle floors of front and third floor of rear elevation, eight-over-four pane to third floor of front and six-over-six pane window to side elevation. Round-headed door opening to front having tooled limestone surround with bench mark to plinth block, ashlar limestone voussoirs, tooled limestone lintel, and replacement uPVC door with spoked fanlight.
This is a handsome and well proportioned former house, retaining its original stone façade and well-executed fenestration with fine Georgian-style diminishing windows. Its simple but well executed limestone doorcase with delicate fanlight provide a decorative focus and the retention of its small-paned timber sash windows enhance its architectural value. The attractive boot scrape and niche is another interesting feature as is the crow's foot benchmark.