Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social
In Use As
1815 - 1820
Corner-sited limestone-built former Roman Catholic cathedral, built 1816, having five-bay two-storey front façade to Middle Street with shallow three-bay gabled breakfront, and ten-bay two-storey elevation to Abbeygate Street Lower. Now in use as retail outlets. Formerly comprising double-height nave with galleries to sides. Interior now remodelled to provide two floors. Crenellated limestone parapets concealing rainwater goods and roof. Gable to front façade surmounted by moulded stone coping with stepped gable above and having ball finial to apex and crocheted pinnacles to acroterions and to cut-stone pilasters at ends of façade. Dressed stone walls having animal carvings in relief above windows of façade and to front three bays of side elevation. Pointed-arch openings throughout having block-and-start surrounds, with stone voussoirs, sills and having mainly replacement uPVC windows with double timber sliding sash one-over-one pane windows to some first-floor front windows. Middle window to first floor of façade taller than elsewhere and has moulded surround and Y-tracery window. Ground floor openings of façade have moulded surrounds and are set into square-headed frames. Some former window openings to side elevation converted to entrances for shops and have replacement uPVC doors and overlights. Tudor-arch main door to central bay of façade, having moulded stone surround, replacement uPVC door and recent tiled step.
Designed by Cusack, this fine Gothic and Tudor Revival-style former cathedral was built in 1816. This relatively plain building is embellished by the mouldings and frames to the façade openings and the decorative treatment of its gable. Further artistic quality is evident in the unusual carved panels with animal figures in high relief.