Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1730 - 1770
Terraced three-bay three-storey public house, built c.1750. Pitched slate roof having rendered chimneystack and cast-iron rainwater goods. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls to upper floors having rendered eaves course with decorative details, and channelled quoin bands. Dressed limestone to ground floor. Shopfront comprising tooled limestone scroll brackets supporting tooled moulded cornice and having recent timber lettering to fascia area and having square-headed plate-glass timber display windows. Two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows to upper floors with decorative wrought-iron railings to first floor. Square-headed door openings having limestone voussoirs and double-leaf battened timber doors.
This well-proportioned public house is distinctive for its dressed limestone ground floor. The building is enhanced by the retention of historic fabric including timber sliding sash windows and decorative quality is added by the carved scrolls and the render details.