Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Detached single-storey railway buildings, built c. 1860, comprising former engine shed to north-east half and much-rebuilt part to south-west half now used as engine shed. Lower office attached to north-west corner with later addition to give L-plan. Pitched corrugated-asbestos roofs having recent metal-sheet to lower L-plan part, and dressed limestone copings. Red-brick and chamfered ashlar limestone chimneystack to north-west end of north-east part, with cast-iron rainwater goods. Replacement rainwater goods elsewhere. Coursed roughly dressed snecked limestone walls except for south-west elevation of current engine shed which is concrete block. North-east part has red-brick plat band and blocked window openings with block-and-start red-brick surrounds. Square-headed window openings to lower part with replacement timber windows and concrete sills. Square-headed door opening to south-west elevation of lower part, with with block-and-start rock-faced limestone surround and replacement timber door. South-east gable of former engine shed has high round-arch opening with chamfered limestone surround and voussoirs, now blocked up and having recent door opening inserted.
Despite some recent alterations, this train shed has retained attractive original features such as brick and limestone former carriage arch, window and entrance openings, as well as the finely detailed limestone and brick chimneystack. The building is also a significant functional element of this railway station and integral to the architectural unity of this railway site.