1820 - 1825
TOWNPARKS(ST. NICHOLAS' PARISH)
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former house, built 1824, currently in use as office and apartment. Recent two-storey lean-to extensions to rear. Canted timber bay window to ground floor with metal-sheet roof. Double-pile pitched artificial slate roof with limestone eaves course, rendered chimneystack, and cast-iron and replacement aluminium and uPVC rainwater goods. Coursed tooled limestone walls to front, and rendered to rear and basement. Square-headed window openings having tooled voussoirs and sills with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to first floor front, some two-over-two pane windows to rear elevation, and replacement uPVC elsewhere. Round-headed door opening to front with tooled voussoirs, render doorcase with fluted pilasters having plinths, moulded cornice, timber panelled door, fanlight and tooled steps with wrought-iron railings. Concrete steps to basement providing access to square-headed replacement timber door. Low limestone plinth to basement area with wrought-iron railings.
This classically proportioned Georgian building is one of a pair of imposing houses on Eyre Square. Its limestone façade is distinctive, the tooled voussoirs and round-headed doorway being fine features. The retention of some timber sash windows, and of the timber panelled door, enhances this building, as does the survival of the basement area with its wrought-iron railings.