Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1730 - 1770
Attached nine-bay three-storey limestone-fronted building with attic, built c.1750, now divided and refurbished in 2000. Pitched slate roof, with roof-lights to west-most two bays, coursed tooled stone chimneystacks, render copings to gables, carved cornice, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Coursed tooled walls having plat band at upper floor sill levels, and raised quoins to front corners. Metal tie-plates to first floor added in 2000. Round window openings to upper floors of middle bay, having raised tooled surrounds with voussoirs at compass points. Square-headed window openings elsewhere to upper floors and to ground floor of eastmost two bays, having stone sills and voussoirs. All windows are replacement uPVC. Replacement timber shopfront to ground floor of western half of building and recent limestone shopfront to westmost two bays of eastern half, both shopfronts having square-headed doors and display windows.
This is a notably large former house, built in the mid-eighteenth century. Its exposed limestone façade is of well executed masonry with good eaves detail and the symmetry of the building is emphasised by the central round windows. Its location is unusual, the building being partly tucked behind another structure, and facing onto a widening at the start of one of Galway's busiest shopping streets.