Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1865 - 1870
Corner-sited attached eighteen-bay three-storey former 'Colonial Buildings', built 1866, having arcaded ground floor to fourteen bays and curving around junction of Eglinton Street and Williamsgate Street. Former public house and restaurant to ground floor and other commercial units to upper storeys. Flat roof having cast-iron rainwater goods, and with hand-rail to rendered parapet. Painted rendered walls with moulded plinth, having render sill courses to upper storeys. Arcaded ground floor comprising round-headed openings flanked by vermiculated channelled pilasters with moulded imposts and supporting moulded archivolts with decorative scroll keystones. Render roundels to spandrels of arcade. Round-headed replacement timber windows with stone sills, and replacement timber doors to doorways, recessed within arcade openings. One-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with metal window guards, and tripartite fixed timber display window to public house elevation on Eglinton Street. Other ground floor windows boarded up, those to Williamsgate Street façade being recent remodelling. Square-headed window openings to upper storeys having moulded render surrounds and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Round-headed door openings to public house having timber panelled doors, and replacement timber glazed door, with stepped limestone approaches.
This building was designed by E.H. Carson in c.1866, with a curved corner matching Brown Thomas. It has classical detailing to its ground floor, the arcade with its good render detailing being the building's most prominent feature.