Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social, Technical
1875 - 1880
Seven-arch rubble stone railway viaduct over road and river, opened 1878. Decommissioned, 1982. Now disused. Random rubble limestone walls to tapered piers having rock-faced cut-limestone quoins to corners, rock-faced cut-limestone string/spring courses, and random rubble stone parapets on cut-limestone stringcourse having vitrified blue clay coping. Series of seven round arches with rock-faced cut-limestone voussoirs, quoined voussoirs, and squared rubble stone soffits having remains of render over. Sited spanning road and River Tay valley with forested banks to river.
An elegantly-composed railway viaduct forming an imposing and dramatic landmark in the locality. The viaduct is of particular importance as evidence of the Fishguard and Rosslare Railways and Harbours Company development of the Great Southern Railway line in the late nineteenth century. Although now disused, the viaduct retains its original form, and remains an important component of the civil engineering heritage of the county, as identified by the construction of the arches.