Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Farmyard complex, c.1860, including: (i) Attached eleven-bay single- and two-storey rubble stone outbuilding comprising single-bay two-storey gabled central bay with elliptical-headed carriageway to ground floor, four-bay single-storey range with half-attic to left with two-bay single-storey end bay to left having pair of elliptical-headed carriageways, and three-bay single-storey range with half-attic to right having square-headed carriageway. Part reroofed, c.1910. Pitched slate roofs (gabled to central bay) with replacement corrugated-iron, c.1910, to range to left, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, rendered bellcote to gable to central bay (with aperture having cast-iron bell, and cross finial to apex), and remains of cast-iron rainwater goods on squared rubble stone eaves. Random rubble stone walls (possibly originally rendered with unpainted render to first floor central bay) with dressed stone quoins to corners. Square-headed window openings (in bipartite arrangement to first floor central bay) with cut-stone sills (possibly with red brick ‘voussoirs’), and louvered panel fittings (1/1 timber sash windows to bipartite opening). Square-headed door openings (possibly with red brick ‘voussoirs’) with fittings not visible. Elliptical-headed carriageways with squared rubble stone voussoirs, and fittings not visible. Square-headed carriageway to range to right with fittings not visible. (ii) Attached twelve-bay single-storey rubble stone outbuilding perpendicular to left with square-headed carriageways. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond chimney stacks, square rooflights, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Random rubble stone walls. Square-headed window openings in bipartite arrangement with cut-stone sills. 2/2 and 4/4 timber sash windows. Square-headed door openings with tongue-and-groove timber panelled doors, and overlights. Square-headed carriageways with tongue-and-groove timber panelled doors and double doors. (iii) Attached three-bay single-storey rubble stone outbuilding to right originally with elliptical-headed carriageways. Extensively renovated, 1998, with single-bay single-storey projecting glazed porch added, and carriageways remodelled to accommodate alternative use. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, 1998, on squared rubble stone eaves. Hipped artificial slate roof to porch with clay ridge tiles, and timber eaves. Random rubble stone walls. Square-headed openings to porch with glazed timber panelled door, and fixed-pane timber flanking lights on concrete sill having casement sections. Elliptical-headed carriageway remodelled, 1998, with squared rubble stone voussoirs, and replacement timber casement windows, 1998.
An appealing collection of rubble stone outbuildings forming an integral component of the Mount Melleray Monastery grounds, attesting to the various activities undertaken in the maintenance of a large-scale complex. Well maintained, each range retains most of its original form and early fabric, while one range has been converted to an alternative purpose without adversely affecting the early character of the composition.