Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
In Use As
1790 - 1795
Detached five-bay three-storey hotel with dormer attic, opened 1793, on a rectangular plan; five-bay three-storey rear (north) elevation. Leased, 1848. For sale, 1886. Renovated, ----. Replacement pitched artificial slate roof with perforated crested terracotta ridge tiles, coping to gables with red brick Running bond chimney stacks to apexes having corbelled stepped capping supporting terracotta pots, rooflights to front (south) pitch, and uPVC rainwater goods on red brick header bond eaves. Red brick Flemish bond wall to front (south) elevation on coursed rubble limestone plinth; coursed or snecked rubble limestone walls (remainder) with rough hewn limestone flush quoins to corners. Round-headed central door opening approached by two tessellated terracotta tiled cut-granite steps between wrought iron railings, cut-granite block-and-start surround centred on keystone framing replacement timber panelled door having fanlight. Square-headed window openings with cut-granite sills, and red brick voussoirs framing replacement timber casement windows replacing six-over-six or three-over-six (top floor) timber sash windows. Set in landscaped grounds.
An hotel representing an important component of the late eighteenth-century built heritage of Cheekpoint with the architectural value of the composition, one opened under the management of a Mr. Sly to profit from passengers arriving at and departing from the Cheekpoint Mail Steam Packet Station (opened 1787), confirmed by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form centred on a Classically-detailed doorcase not only demonstrating good quality workmanship in a silver-grey granite, but also showing a replica curvilinear fanlight; the construction in a handmade red brick; and the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression. NOTE: Leased (1848) by Patrick Tracey (0000) whose hotel was described as '[a] hospitable mansion…so comfortably situate [and] crowded to overflowing' (Waterford News 7th June 1850); and sold (1886) by Captain John Coffey (d. 1890) 'who expended a sum over £500 on the premises' (Waterford News 14th May 1886).