Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
In Use As
1750 - 1780
Detached five-bay three-storey over basement red brick house with dormer attic, c.1765, with three-bay single-storey lean-to shallow return to north. Subsequently in use as hotel. Extensively renovated, c.1990, with dormer attic added. Pitched roof (continuing into lean-to to return) with replacement artificial slate, c. 1990, decorative red clay ridge tiles, replacement red brick Running bond chimney stacks, c. 1990, cut-stone coping to gables, square rooflights, c. 1990, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c. 1990. Red brick Flemish bond wall to front (south) elevation with random rubble stone walls to remainder having sections of red brick Flemish bond tracing route of chimney flues. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, red brick block-and-start surrounds to rear (north) elevation, red brick 'voussoirs', and replacement timber casement windows, c.1990. Round-headed door opening with two cut-stone steps having wrought iron railings, cut-granite Gibbsian surround, replacement timber panelled door, c.1990, and overlight. Set in own grounds perpendicular to road on a sloping site with random rubble stone boundary wall to perimeter.
A well-proportioned substantial house, possibly originally built as a harbour master's house or a constabulary barracks, retaining its original form and some of its early character. The juxtaposition of early red brick and rubble stone in the construction produces an appealing polychromatic and textured visual effect. However, the replacement fittings to the openings and materials to the roof have not had a positive impact on the external expression of the composition. The house, which at one time accommodated an hotel, forms an important landmark feature in the locality, distinguished by its massing rising above the surrounding landscape.