Survey Data

Reg No

22900303


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1850 - 1870


Coordinates

233872, 117545


Date Recorded

05/01/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay two-storey house, c.1850, on an L-shaped plan retaining original fenestration with single-bay single-storey end bay to right (north), two-bay single-storey parallel range along rear (west) elevation (forming double-pile to end bay), two-bay two-storey side elevation to south having single-bay single-storey canted bay window to ground floor, and two-bay two-storey return to west. Renovated and extended, c.1900, comprising two-bay two-storey lower bay to return with single-bay single-storey flat-roofed projecting porch to centre. Hipped slate roof (pitched to return; pitched to end bay and to wing (part double-pile (M-profile)); hipped to additional end bay) with rolled lead ridge tiles, rendered and red brick Running bond chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods having iron brackets. Flat roof to porch not visible behind cornice parapet. Unpainted roughcast walls (ivy-clad). Square-headed window openings (in tripartite arrangement to ground floor having profiled detailing to heads; in bipartite arrangement to first floor) with stone sills. 1/1 and 2/2 timber sash windows. Square-headed openings to porch with glazed timber panelled door, overlight, and fixed-pane lights. Square-headed door opening to house with glazed timber panelled door and overlight. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Set back from road in own grounds with tarmacadam forecourt, and landscaped grounds to site. (ii) Detached two-bay single-storey outbuilding, c.1850, to north with single-bay single-storey lean-to end bay to left (north). Pitched slate roof (lean-to to end bay) with clay ridge tiles, rendered coping, and no rainwater goods. Unpainted roughcast walls. Square-headed window opening with stone sill, red brick block-and-start surround, and timber fittings. Square-headed door openings (one with red brick block-and-start surround) with timber boarded doors. (iii) Detached four-bay single-storey outbuilding, c.1850, to west with elliptical-headed carriageways. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, and no rainwater goods. Unpainted roughcast walls. Square- and elliptical-headed door openings with timber boarded doors. Elliptical-headed carriageways with timber boarded doors. (iv) Gateway, c.1850, to south-east comprising pair of unpainted rendered piers with profiled capping, wrought iron double gates, and unpainted rendered flanking boundary wall to perimeter of site.

Appraisal

An appealing, middle-size house incorporating a range of stylistic features, including bipartite and tripartite openings, and a canted bay window, which enhance the architectural value of the composition. Well maintained, the house retains its early form and fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior. The survival of a range of outbuildings augments the group and setting qualities of the site, and the complex remains an important element of the architectural heritage of the locality.